What a month! It has definitely been an adventure since the last time we wrote.
- During our drive down, we came across some very heavy winds in Southern California narrowly escaping a severe downpour alert in Riverside County (that was the first time I’ve ever heard a radio station be interrupted for an emergency announcement).
- We experienced an interesting border crossing in Nogales; after two hours, we finally were able to get into Mexico (you can read all about that exciting adventure here.
- As we drove through northern Mexico, we experienced some heavy downpours and that’s the way it’s been since we arrived in Cofradia. It’s been hot and wet. I had forgotten how much I really missed sweating (please don’t overlook the sense of humor there!).
- Our EL RETO youth event has been very effective this year. After four weeks, we’ve reached 168 students in this remote area. There is so much excitement in the air, it’s incredible. I am personally really excited about this year because it’s the first year they have not had me for any of the planning and the staff is doing an EXCELLENT job! Pastor Luis has definitely taken ownership and is moving forward with the Student Ministry!
- Finally, one of the most exciting things happening right now is the development of a Bible School here in Cofradía via internet. This has been one of our desires for years as we “Raise up Leaders in Rural Mexico.” It will give us the opportunity to help the four Pastors get well-prepared for ministry as well as ordaining and licensing. The degrees available are Associates, Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate. I myself have been considering joining them as well as some of the other leaders here in the church. It is truly looking to be a very exciting time; it’s something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time.
Here is a quick update on last month’s prayer requests...
- EL RETO. As I mentioned above, it has been an excellent time! Please continue to pray for the students that participate so they would be able to learn what God wants to teach them.
- Safe Travels Thank you. We arrived safely.
- Girls’ schooling. The girls are doing excellent in school and having a great time. I’ve also been working with them with Reading and English Grammar to keep up the American Schooling.
This month, will you please pray for...
- EL RETO. Thank you for keeping this in your prayers. October 5 is the FINAL RETO of 2013.
- Bible School. Please pray for the Pastors and Leaders who will be taking courses. We have been given an extreme discount. However, some will still need help financially. If you would like to sponsor one of the four Pastors (Gollo-Lead Pastor; Luis-Youth Pastor/Maintenance; Horacio-Assistant Pastor/Indigenous Ministry; Martin-Assistant Pastor/Youth/Indigenous) or a leader in general you can click on the “Cofradia Location” and write their name or “Bible School” in the note area. OR you can mail it to the address below.
- Dengue. There has been an outbreak of Denque here. Some people are getting sick and having to go to the city to receive treatment at the hospital. Please pray for protection, healing, and that the virus would disappear.
Thank you very much for partnering with us through your prayers and financial support.
Click here to donate to our personal support.
MAILING ADDRESS FOR ALTERNATIVE MISSIONS SUPPORT. Another way to donate is by sending a check made out to Alternative Missions to Alternative Missions / PO Box 3107 / Ferndale, WA 98248. On a separate note, indicate that it is for The Silbermans.
Steve, Geña, Rebecka, Emma, and Mackenzie Silberman
Missionaries to Mexico
Alternative Missions Cofradia
Post a Comment